Going on vacation at the beach is almost everyone’s favorite. Of course, there are some people who are not as enthusiastic about spending their holiday at the sea or ocean side, but most people love it. And what is there not to like? You have the sun warming your body, you can get a beautiful and healthy tan, and you can have some fun in the sand or in the water. However, one of the most important things you need to remember is protection. UVs can cause some damage, the worse being skin cancer, which is why you need to use all forms of protection you can get your hands on. One of them is a beach shelter.
A beach shelter is very similar to a camping tent. It comes in various designs and sizes, and it is made of pretty much the same materials as the camping tent, which can be polyester or weather-resistant nylon. However, the difference is that the beach tent is not designed to sleep in it. Of course, you can take a nap, but not like in a camping tent, during the night. You can find different models out there, and there are several types. Some resemble more like a canopy than a tent, while others have zippered doors and ventilation windows. It is up to you which one you prefer.
Why you should invest in a beach shelter
While some people think that an umbrella will suffice, others need more protection than an umbrella has to offer. A beach shelter can provide that. It has plenty of benefits you and your family can enjoy. Below you will find the most significant.
- It will protect you against the elements – this is the primary purpose of a beach shelter, to provide protection. The most common element people run away from is the damaging rays of the sun. However, a beach shelter can also protect you from surprise rain showers, wind, sand, and even ocean spray. An umbrella will not do in most cases, which is why people prefer a beach tent instead.
- It provides privacy – if you want privacy, the beach is not the right place to be. It is generally crowded with people. Of course, you do not need much privacy at the beach, but if you want to change into dry clothes or change your bathing suit, some coverage comes in handy. With a beach shelter, you no longer have to struggle to change underneath your towel.
- It protects your belongings – when you go to the beach for the day, you need to take a couple of things with you. You have your devices, your clothes, wallet, keys, food, and whatever you like taking. They all need protection. It is a lot more difficult for a thief to enter the shelter and steal your possession than to take it from underneath your towel. Your clothes are protected against ocean spray and surprise showers, and your food and drinks will stay colder for longer since they do not have to sit in the sun. The point is that a beach shelter can provide the protection you need for all your belongings, not only valuables.
- It is ideal for small children – we all know that young children are susceptible when it comes to UV rays, which is why you need to equip your child with protective hats and clothing. However, if you buy a beach shelter, that is no longer necessary. Plus, your child can take a nap inside the tent without nobody disturbing.
- It Is easy to set up – beach shelters are effortless to set up. Some people go for pop-up beach shelters, which are even easier to handle. Moreover, beach shelters are easy to fixate in place because most models can be anchored in the sand. You do not have to run to catch it when there is strong wind as one does when using an umbrella.
What to consider before buying a beach shelter
If you do a quick search online, you will notice that there are hundreds of models that can suit your needs. That makes things a bit confusing because choosing just one may be tricky. That is why you need to consider a few things before you make a purchase. Do not just go on and buy a random product. Here is what you need to look at.
- Size – depending on who is going to use the beach shelter, you need to decide on size so that nobody gets left out. Literally. Lucky for you, some beach shelters can accommodate a lot of people at once. However, as you can imagine, the bigger the tent, the more you are going to pay for it.
- Design – as I mentioned earlier, there are several designs you can go for. Some models have a floor, while others do not. Some have zippered doors and windows, while others resemble a canopy. Lastly, some have a single entry, while other beach shelters are open all around. This is a matter of preference, and you should decide which one suits you best.
- Color – you may think that color is not essential, but when you plan to sit all day long in the sun, color matters. Ideally, you should go for a light color because dark colors attract the heat of the sun. Bright colors provide colder temperatures. If you have children, maybe they like a particular color, but no matter what you do, do not choose dark shades. You will regret it afterward.
- Construction – when I mean construction, I am referring mostly to the material the manufacturer used to make the beach shelter. Most tents are made of polyester or nylon, which are both excellent choices. However, beach shelters are better if the material has a protective coating against UV. There are some special materials that are more efficient than others, but as you can imagine they cost more. Even so, polyester and nylon with a protective coating are good enough for everybody.
- Ease of use – you can buy the most expensive beach shelter, but if it is challenging to put up, all your expense is for nothing. A beach shelter should not be a cause of frustration, especially since you need to put it up right when you get to the beach. Do you really want to get angry before starting your relaxing day in the sun? I did not think so. Look for a beach shelter that can be set up in just a couple of minutes. Read some reviews to find out which one that is if the manufacturer does not specify it.
What are the best beach shelters?
Now that you know why you should buy a beach shelter and how to choose the best model, it is time for you to make a decision. As long as you follow the criteria above and pay attention to the specifications, you should be able to make a quick and smart choice. If it helps, you can also read some beach shelter reviews online. After all, people who have already bought and used a particular model are the most qualified to tell you whether or not it is worth buying. If none of those solutions are for you and you are looking for the best beach shelter, you can choose one of the models below.
Coleman Daytripper Beach Shade
You must have heard about Coleman before. The manufacturer produces fantastic coolers. However, it does a pretty good job at making beach shelters as well. This model is the perfect example. It is a portable pop-up beach tent with 50+ UPF protection. It is ideal for people with sensitive skin as well as for small children who need more protection from dangerous UV. The fact that it is a pop-up model makes it effortless to handle.
You can find this multiple in several colors, and they are all bright so that they do not attract even more heat. The extended front floor can be zipped for more privacy, while the window at the back can be opened for more ventilation. This model also features storage pockets and even a dry line that allows you to hang wet clothes. I find that to be an excellent feature.
The beach shelter from Coleman measures 7 feet and 6 inches by 4 feet and 5 inches. At the center, the height is 4 feet and 9 inches, which should be enough. After all, you will not stand inside the shelter. It is very easy to set up, and you should be done in 5 minutes tops. The ground stakes included in the package will anchor the tent in the sand, and the manufacturer will also send you the pre-attached guylines.
Pacific Breeze Products Beach Tent
Another beach shelter that I think you will like is the one manufactured by Pacific Breeze Products. It is very easy to set up, and you should be done in just a minute. It is incredibly lightweight, and taking it down is just as effortless. It will protect you against UVs, rain, wind, and sand. It features a floor that will protect your skin from sand mites. Plus, you will not have sand in all the wrong places.
The material from which this beach shelter is made provides 50+ UPF protection. The tent has large windows for ventilation. The material used is breathable polyester and is water-repellent. Inside, you will find storage pockets to put your valuables.
As for size, this tent measures 87 inches in length, 49 inches in width, and 47 inches in height. It is big enough for a couple of people. The frame is made of durable fiberglass, and when you are done using it, you can just fold it down to travel size. The package includes a carrying case for easy transport and safe storage. Unlike the previous product, the Pacific Breeze Products beach shelter does not have a zippered door.
Oileus Super Big Canopy Beach Tent
Last but not least, the beach shelter from Oileus is yet another tent that I think you will find useful. However, unlike the previous product, this one can accommodate an entire large family. Maybe even a few friends. It is a super large beach shelter that measures 16 by 16 feet. It provides a lot of shade that will protect you and your items.
Even if we are talking about a massive beach shelter, it is incredibly lightweight. It weighs only 6 pounds, which makes it easy to carry. The package also includes a carrying case for you to store the product when not in use. The manufacturer used a high-quality material when it produced this tent. It is made of 210T durable polyester with 99% UV protection. It also features a PU waterproof coating. The stakes make this tent windproof. The sandbags will keep the shelter even steadier.
The beach shelter from Oileus is very easy to set up. You get instructions, but the installation should not take more than 5 minutes. You may need another set of hands because it is large, but it is not like you use this huge tent alone. The one downside to this product is that you must take it off when the wind is too strong. Its large size is at fault. But other than that, this is an excellent product.
If I were to choose one of the products above, I would go with the Coleman Daytripper Beach Shade. It is high-quality and affordable, and it provides the most privacy. I think it is one of the best beach shelters you can find within this price range.
Having protection at the beach is of the utmost importance. I do not want to give you a speech about the dangers of long-term exposure to UVs, but you must know about the consequences. Prevention is the best medicine, and a beach shelter is a small price to pay for your health, as well as of that of your family. I am sure that no matter which product you choose, you will get the protection you need.
Updated on March 6, 2023