People have been buying bicycles more and more in the past few years. It has become a well-appreciated means of transportation, e-bikes have come out, and let’s face it, if the situation allows it, it is a lot cheaper to commute with a bike than with a personal car. Costs are very important, and let’s not forget about the environment. Cars pollute a lot, but bicycles are as green as they come. You do not have problems with parking, and investing in one of the best bicycle kickstands means that you can park virtually everywhere.
Why you should invest in a bicycle?
There are countries, such as Denmark or the Netherlands, where bicycles are in higher numbers than cars. It is easy to see why. There are plenty of reasons why a bike is better than a car. Let’s take a look at some of them, shall we?
- It is good exercise – one of the most common given advice by doctors is to exercise as much as you can. It is understandable, especially now when a lot of jobs require you to sit in a chair for at least 8 hours per day. Not everyone has time to exercise before or after work, which is why a bike can fix that. It does not take much to get your body into healthy physical fitness, and a bicycle will do just that. You can ride it on your way to work, on the way back, and sometimes on the weekend if you wish to go for a ride. A bicycle is one of the best practical ways to exercise. You keep your health and get to work at the same time. Or enjoy the scenery. The choice is yours, but the most important thing to remember is that it can do you a lot of good.
- It is cheaper than a car – while cars cost thousands of dollars, with a few hundred bucks you can get an excellent bike. Maintenance is inexpensive as well, and let’s not forget about gas. E-bikes may cost you a little bit more, and they need charging, but they still do not cost as much as cars. If you do not want to spend much money on transportation, a bike is an ideal solution. Sure, it may not be so pleasant when the weather is bad, but you can always use a public means of transportation.
- It is good for the environment – this statement is self-explanatory. Cars pollute a lot, which is why one of the reasons this planet is suffering is exhaust gases. It is not news, and you can say that electric cars do not pollute. They do not, of course, but did you look at the prices for those? There are not many car manufacturers that sell electric cars, maybe hybrids, and not anyone can afford a Tesla. Perhaps in the future, when the prices will go down a bit, we can talk about electric cars as a valid and affordable alternative.
- You do not have to suffer through traffic – bicycle owners love that they do not have to waste hours at end in traffic. Sure, you get from point A to point B slower, but at least you do not lose your nerves being stuck in traffic.
What to consider when looking for the best bicycle kickstand?
When you get a bike, you need to think about the accessories as well. One of them is a kickstand. I used to believe that all bikes have one, but I was terribly mistaken. Not all of them come equipped with what I think to be essential to a bike. Nevertheless, you can buy a kickstand separately. Here is what you need to consider before you make a purchase.
- Size – just as not all bikes are created equal, not all kickstands are the same. You need to check the size of your bicycle’s wheel. After that, you can buy the kickstand. It is essential because it will dictate the stability of your bike when you want to leave it upright. If you buy one that is too small, the bike will fall down. If you get one that is too big, the bike will also fall, but on the opposite side. So, take a look at your bike’s size and get a kickstand according to that.
- Adjustability – ever since I found out that they make adjustable kickstands, I do not recommend anything else. It is not difficult to find a kickstand according to your bike’s size, but if you find an adjustable one, why not? It is easier, and you find all ranges. For example, if you have a 25-inch bike, you can get an adjustable kickstand that can support bikes between 24 inches and 28 inches. Simple as that. Also, if you buy another bicycle of a different dimension, you can just take the kickstand and use it all altogether. It may not be much, and kickstands are not expensive, but it comes in handy.
- Materials – when it comes to kickstands, materials are very important. You want a durable but lightweight material. After all, that small metal stick is going to keep your bike upright. You do not want it to bend or break. That is why I recommend aluminum alloys. They are sturdy enough and durable, and they need a lot of pressure to bend.
- Non-slip soles – when I was little, one of the things that annoyed me was the inexistence of the sole on my bicycle kickstand. Apart from making a terrible noise, my bike was slipping on certain surfaces. However, if you choose a kickstand with a non-slip sole, your bicycle will enjoy all the stability it needs. Soles are made of rubber, usually, and make sure that they are made of durable rubber. Otherwise, it will tear pretty soon.
- High-quality spring – the kickstand comes with a spring that will keep it up or down, depending on the moment. That spring can break, but if you buy a good one, that will not happen. At the same time, you want the spring to be flexible enough that you do not have to push it down hard, but not too loose so that it will hang down when not in use.
- Ease of installation – last but not least, buy a bicycle stand that is not hard to install. Just a couple of screws should be more than enough. After all, not all bicycle owners are skilled handymen (or women.) A kickstand that takes more than a few minutes to install is not worth buying. But then again, that is just me.
What are the best bicycle kickstands?
Searching for the best bike kickstand is not tricky, but if you do not want to go through all that trouble, below you will find three excellent models that will satisfy your needs. Kickstands are not expensive, and if you fail in buying the right one, you do not lose much. Even so, it is best if you get it right the first time, is it not?
BV Adjustable Bicycle Kickstand
The kickstand from BV is one of the most popular choices in the online world. The fact of the matter is that BV manufactures several models, but I picked this one because it is one of the best kickstands you can find. Just as the title suggests, it is an adjustable bicycle kickstand that will allow you to change its length according to the size of your bike. The adjustment process does not require any tools, and all will be over in under a minute. As for compatibility, this item is meant for bicycles from 24 inches to 29 inches.
The spring-loaded latch is well-built, which means that the mechanism will function adequately for many years. The spring itself has the right amount of tension, just as you like it. The non-slip sole will allow you to position the bike upright no matter the surface. Also, the reinforced plastic foot will prevent your bike from sinking into mud. It is a useful feature if you like to go on a bike trail in the middle of nature.
The BV kickstand features a steel hexagonal bolt that is meant to prevent the foot from sliding off, and at the same time, it stops vandals. The product will handle any angle stance, which comes in handy if you want to position your bicycle on uneven ground. The installation will only last a couple of minutes. No special tools are required.
Lumintrail Center Mount Bicycle Kickstand
Lumintrail is yet another manufacturer that likes to satisfy the needs of its customers. This model is also an adjustable kickstand. To adjust its length, all you need to do is push a button, and there you have it. You can do that on the go, and you need no tools for it. The push button latch design is one of the customers’ favorite features.
The Lumintrail kickstand will handle any angle stance, which makes parking your bike easy. That way you do not have to look for even ground. The sole has a non-slip feature that will allow you to position your bike on any surface you may come across. This too has a reinforced plastic foot that will not let the kickstand sink in the mud.
The quality of the Lumintrail kickstand is unquestionable. It is made of sturdy and durable aluminum alloy. Installation is straightforward with a simple bottom bracket mount that fits on the bicycle’s chainstay neck. It is very easy to use, it can handle lightweight and midweight bikes with 24 inches to 28 inches tires. However, keep in mind that is not compatible with all bike models.
Wolfride Bicycle Kickstand
The Wolfride kickstand is another product that is popular among bike owners. It has the same adjustable design as the previous two models. The length can be adjusted from 30 cm to 40 cm using the same convenient push-button mechanism. That way there are no tools involved, and you can do it on the go.
As for compatibility, this kickstand is meant to fit bikes from 22 inches to 26 inches and 700C road bicycles. This product also features a non-slip sole and a reinforced plastic foot that will prevent the bike from slipping and sinking in mud. You can park your bicycle virtually anywhere.
The Wolfride kickstand is made of a durable aluminum alloy that ensures high quality for years to come. It will not bend or break no matter the weight of your bike. Installation is very simple, the mounting bracket will fit on rectangular and oval tubes with a diameter between 15 and 26 mm. Keep in mind that this is a rear kickstand. Overall, this is a high-quality product that will not disappoint. The price is not high either.
Even though all three products are worth their money, I believe that the Lumintrail Center Mount Bicycle Kickstand is one of the best bicycle kickstands you can buy for your bike. It is not expensive, installation is straightforward, and you get a very durable product that will come in handy in various situations. You have nothing to lose if you try it. Quite the contrary, actually.
Investing in the right bike accessories will help you maintain your bike for longer. For example, a kickstand means that you no longer have to search for places where you can lean on your bike. You can park it anywhere you want, and thanks to high-quality soles, the bike will maintain its balance. All you have to do is choose one of the products above. I am sure that whichever you prefer, you will be satisfied with your purchase.