If you take a look around you when you are outside your house, you will see a lot of people using bikes. People started to appreciate riding bikes in the last few years. A bicycle is something that almost everyone owns, especially in some countries. They are cheaper than a car, cheaper to maintain, they are good for the environment, and last but not least, they help with your physical fitness. What is not to love about them? And if the climate you live in allows it, you can ride them to school or work all year round.
Now, what do all bikers have in common? They all wear headphones in their ears. Riding a bike and listening to music go hand in hand. There’s nothing more relaxing than riding your bike and feeling the wind on your face while listening to your favorite tunes. It’s the perfect combo. But that can be potentially dangerous at times, especially if you live in urban areas. As long as you have the earpieces in, you cannot hear anything that happens in your surroundings. That is why bike speakers are the best option you have.
The advantages of bicycle speakers
I know that for some of you bike speakers may sound silly. It’s like listening to music on your phone while walking on the street. But it’s not. While on your bike, you move faster than when you are walking. That means your music will bother no one. Here are a few benefits that you can enjoy if you purchase a bike speaker.
- You will be able to hear everything that happens around you. That is more important than you think. Accidents happen every day because people walk on the street with their headphones on. You cannot hear the cars coming, or sirens from police, or ambulances. If there is an imminent danger, there is no way you can hear someone shouting to warn you. With bikers, it’s the same. If you ride down the street, you will not hear a car honking at you or any other distress signals. But with a bicycle speaker, you will be able to hear everything I just said. All while listening to your favorite music. Don’t you think it’s better this way? Your safety should be above anything else.
- Listening to music while biking holds benefits for your body as well. Biking itself is a form of exercise, but listening to your favorite music while pedaling gives you a hype that will encourage you to do some more. Have you ever listened to music while on a treadmill? The right music motivates you, right? It’s the same with biking. The music will drive you to some more pedaling. And the fact that bike speakers can give you that while you are safe, it’s a huge plus.
- It will relax you. Nothing compares to exercising while your favorite tunes are in the background. Ask every biker you know, and he or she will tell you the same thing. Riding your bike and listening to music at the same time have emotional benefits. You will leave all your stress behind. And again, safety first, so a bike speaker will provide all that.
What to consider when looking for the best bike speakers
Making a choice is not as easy as it may seem at first. There are so many models on the market, and there are quite a few things you should consider when making a purchase. Here is what matters the most.
- The quality of the sound and volume – actually depends on where you plan on riding your bicycle. If you are used to the urban area, then a speaker who has a higher volume would be perfect. You need to be able to hear the music while riding through city traffic. But if you plan to go in the middle of nature, a good quality sound and volume will be easy to find. Keep in mind that nature is not meant for loud music. After all, what’s the point of enjoying nature if everything you hear comes out of your speaker?
- The case – some speakers come with a case for your phone or music device. It’s a smart thing to use one of those. Devices don’t come cheap, so if it happens to drop on the ground or water, let’s just say that it will ruin your entire day. But a case will save you that trouble. Just place the device in the case, and you can ride with nothing of this sort on your mind.
- Power supply – you have to choose between rechargeable batteries and disposable ones. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. A speaker with rechargeable batteries has to be regularly charged, and if you run out, you run out. There is nothing you can do about it. However, power banks are available now, so that’s that. Disposable batteries are easy to replace. As long as you have an extra set on you, you should be okay. But it’s not good for the environment. Either way, it’s your choice.
- Mounting – again, you have two options. Brackets and Velcro straps. The latter is cheaper, and easier to install, but it wears off in time. The brackets, on the other hand, are durable and will keep your speaker from fidgeting. They are recommended for people who like to go on bumpy rides, like mountain bikers. The design you choose is entirely up to you.
- Waterproof feature – no true biker will stay in just because it’s raining outside. Fortunately, there is such a thing as a waterproof bike speaker. As I said, it comes in handy when it’s raining, but also if you are riding your bike in a puddled area. If you fall in one of those puddles, you want a speaker that can survive, trust me.
- Wireless or not – although I believe everyone goes for wireless technology. Nobody likes wires everywhere anymore. You have enough of those on and around your horns. But that is just a guess. If you want wired bike speakers, that is your choice.
These are just a few features that you should think about, but you can add more if you like. It’s entirely up to you what you want.
What is the best bicycle speaker?
You are familiar with the internet, you know what it means to look for something. You get confused among hundreds of products, and you don’t know which one is the best for you. Here are a few suggestions that may be of help.
Venstar Wireless Speaker
This speaker will make you think that you are indoors. The quality of the sound is almost unbelievable. The two 3W speakers will deliver the perfect HD, stable sound that you are looking for. If you don’t want to listen to your music, again and again, you can just turn to the built-in FM radio with auto-scan, and scan presets.
The battery is rechargeable. You can listen for up to 8 hours from any Bluetooth device, but you can also insert an SD card. Very convenient. That will save the phone battery, which may be a plus when you go into the middle of nature. The speaker can take anything. It is waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof. No matter where you go, Venstar will come through.
The design is excellent. The speaker is made of high-quality, durable, rubberized plastic. It is compact, and the exterior has a firm grip. The mounting will be stable and secure. It will resist no matter how bumpy your ride is. The Venstar is designed to survive in extreme conditions, so don’t go easy on it.
Control comes easy. You can do it either from your phone (when it is the source of the music) or directly by pushing the buttons on the speaker. You can control volume, you have next/previous buttons, an on/off button, and you even have a button that will activate a bell. You can pair the speaker with a 3.5 mm jack if you like. There is also a microphone. You can pair the speaker with your phone and talk to whoever is calling you. This product does not lack features. Even the mount can act as a bottle holder when you remove the speaker.
Avantree Bluetooth Bike Speaker
This speaker comes with two built-in 5W speakers that will impress anyone who decides to buy them. The sound is rich, and the bass will make its presence felt even in the noisiest of backgrounds. This product is also splashproof and shockproof. But if it happens to get splashed, try to wipe it as soon as possible. It will not survive if it’s submerged in water. The exterior is made of plasticized rubber, which makes the speaker grippy and will absorb shocks on bumpy terrains.
The Avantree speaker enjoys wireless technology through NFC. It will pair with any device via Bluetooth and Aux line. You are also able to insert an SD/TF card and play music from there. It is ideal for cycling, hiking, and even sailing. If you need a distraction, this is the perfect way to go.
The speaker is very easy to use. You have control buttons for volume, next/previous, and on/off. Take or reject a call with the built-in microphone. You can install it on your bike by using either the silicone belt or the snap hook. The battery is rechargeable, and it will last up to 6 hours when listening to music, and you have 6 hours of talk time. The charge time is about 3.5 hours. On standby, the battery will remain charged for up to 40 hours.
This too is a great product that will satisfy your need for distraction when you are riding your bike. It will take you a little bit of time to get used to the controls, or maybe you haven’t paired devices using NFC technology before, but you will get the hang of it.
Celtic Blu Bluetooth Speaker System
Just so you know, there are room speakers that come out with a worse sound than this one. The small built-in 8W speakers will provide a rich sound and an incredible bass. Almost no other bike speakers can compare to this one. Surround sound from a tiny, simple speaker? Unheard of. The volume can get so loud, that it will penetrate any background you find yourself in.
The battery life is another thing that makes a good impression. It can last up to 30 hours of playtime, not just standby. You just charge it, and you are good to go for a while. The connection is made through Bluetooth technology, and it has a range of 100 feet. You don’t have to use this speaker when you are biking only. Use it on camping, sailing, or whatever else you want to do. The Celtic Blu bike speaker also has a slot for a MicroSD card, and you can store up to 8000 songs.
As if all features weren’t enough, this speaker can act as a power bank. It has a large battery which allows you to charge other devices, such as your phone or tablet. There is also an FM radio and a built-in antenna. This too is waterproof, but just like the previous one, after splashing try to wipe it clean as soon as possible. It will not survive wet for too long. Since it has a microphone, you can use it to speak on the phone. You will also receive an auxiliary remote controller.
As if you didn’t figure it out already. No matter what product you put in front of me, I will always believe that the Celtic Blu is the best bicycle speaker ever built. Its features simply amaze me and it’s unbelievable how far it can go. This one is my favorite, no doubt about it.
It’s amazing how technology manages to better itself in every domain possible. It’s just a speaker, some people may think, but behind it, there is a lot of thought and hard work. It would be a shame to underestimate and not appreciate it as we should. Because thanks to these simple features you can do something you love in the safest way possible. Doesn’t that count for something?
Updated on March 7, 2023