Hunting is a common hobby. It has been around for ages, and even if people do not need hunting, they are still doing it for sports. There is an entire industry behind it. There are hunting trips, hunting lodges, gear, guns, and whatever else you can think of. Of course, hunting was not what it used to be. We have better guns now, and better equipment, and we have developed ways to lure the prey. Now, we do not walk for hours to find something to kill. That is unless we want to. We call it to us. And that leads us to this article’s topic. I am referring to deer calls.
Deer calls are not new. They have been around for a while. However, what changed is that we have a better understanding and we managed to create better devices. We can now enjoy the best deer calls that have ever been. Honestly, I do not know to which extent we can improve them more. Even so, the ones we have now are good enough. But you know how it is. Good is only good enough until better appears.
- Types of sounds made by deer calls
- Situations when you should not use a deer call
- What to consider when looking for the best deer call
- What are the best deer calls?
- My recommendation
Types of sounds made by deer calls
Deer calling is a crucial part of your deer hunting strategy. As you may already know, deer have an excellent sense of hearing, which is why a deer call will help you lure one in. There are several types of sounds that a deer call can make. Whichever you choose, you will be successful in your hunting. Keep in mind, though, that while a deer call is a brilliant piece of equipment, nobody can guarantee that it will work. Not all circumstances require the same type of sound. So here are the sounds I was talking about earlier.
- Bleats – these resemble the sound a fawn makes when it is lost. As you can imagine, this sound is ideal for when you go doe hunting. A lost fawn will always lure a doe in because it will wake up its maternal instincts. There are few chances for failure in this case. Also, if you turn it, the can will make a bleat, which is something a fawn is looking for when it is lost. Last but not least, let’s not forget that estrus doe bleats will attract young bucks who think they have a chance at finding a mate.
- Rattlings – this sounds like a couple of bucks fighting. Naturally, eager young bucks will want a piece of it too, and that is how you trap them. They either want to look or take their turn. Either way, you get at least one buck that has no idea what is waiting for him. However, make sure that you do not overdo it. If you rattle too much, the young bucks will think that the fight is simply too much for them, and they will stay away. It is a matter of a few rattlings and a lot of patience.
- Grunts – these sound like bucks and the devices that make this sound are pretty versatile. You can use them on various occasions. However, you must be very careful with the grunts. The buck sound has a particular resonance, and the most dangerous thing that can happen is to make this sound while you make eye contact with a buck. The sound calls for an attack, and you do not want to have a buck attacking you.
- Wheezings – this sound is most suitable for old bucks. It is ideal when you have already seen a buck, and you want to lure it in. The reason behind it is that the sound mimics the sound made by an alpha male. A young buck will stay away from it because they do not want to get into a fight with an alpha male, but old bucks will respond.
Situations when you should not use a deer call
A deer call is very useful in most situations, but sometimes it can have some negative effects. That is why it is important to know when not to use it. Here are some of the situations:
- The buck is somewhere near you – if you already have a visual and you make the call again, that may blow your cover and lose the prey.
- The prey has already heard you, but refuses to come your way – there is no point in overdoing it. A buck will or will not come into your range. You cannot force things. It is nature we are talking about, after all.
- When you have no idea if the deer are somewhere near you – if you are blind calling, some deer may run off because of the loud sound you make.
- You do not have your gun ready – if they respond, deer will come to find the source of the sound pretty quickly. If you do not have your gun or bow ready, you may miss your chance of catching the animal.
- You make other noises – the hunting areas are full of twigs, and the sounds you make by walking will easily scare a buck. However, if you make the fawn bleats while walking, you still have a chance at covering your tracks. That is because young fawns have little to no experience.
What to consider when looking for the best deer call
While there are several features a deer call can have, three of them matter the most. But then again, that is just my opinion, so if you have a different one, go for anything that suits you.
- Ease of use – hunting is difficult as it is. You do not need something to make it even harder. That is why you need a device that is easy to use. Otherwise, you may end up scaring the prey for the simple fact that you bought the wrong deer call. It is not the best outcome.
- Durability – you already know that hunting does not provide the friendliest circumstances. The weather may be bad, you may sometimes drop the device, and many things can happen. That is why you need a sturdy deer call. Low maintenance is something to go for as well.
- Hunting techniques – make sure to purchase the deer call that matches your hunting techniques. The best thing to do is to buy a deer call that can make multiple sounds. That way you will be successful with whatever may come your way.
If you consider that you need something else, you should go for it. After all, nobody knows you better than yourself. Experience will always have a say in the whole thing.
What are the best deer calls?
I cannot tell you precisely which one is the best. What I can do is provide information from other experienced hunters. With that in mind, here are three excellent suggestions.
Illusion Extinguisher Deer Call with Instructional DVD
One of the most important parts of hunting is educating yourself. No matter what top-of-the-line product you buy, it is worth nothing if you do not know how to use it. Moreover, you must learn how things work, and try to absorb as much information as you can, like how deer react to the sound, the moments when it is most likely to be successful, and much more. That is why I think this product is one of the best. You will receive the deer call, but knowledge is included in the price. The instructional video is more than useful, and you will learn a great deal from it.
The Illusion deer call makes three noises: fawn, doe, and buck. It has every sound you need in various circumstances. Changing from one to the other is very simple, and the device is easy to use in general. The sounds are very good with a high rate of success. Depending on the situation, you can use this device to lure in the prey pretty quickly.
This deer call can have a sturdy design. It has a freeze-free design, and it requires little to no maintenance. The lanyard will keep the deer call around your neck for ease of access at any time. You have all the chances to be successful in your hunt with this product. Plenty of people used it before and are very satisfied with their purchase. It has pretty much everything you need. It makes the right sounds, it is easy to use, and you can use it no matter what you are hunting (fawn, doe, or buck.)
Primos ‘The Original Can’ Deer Call with Grip Rings
Primos is one of the oldest deer calls. It has been around for a while, which is why some people prefer it above everything else. You can manufacture a deer call from the best materials, but the experience in the field weighs much more than that. People have been using Primos for decades. It is easy to understand why. It is a tough product that can take whatever you throw at it. It can resist the toughest environments, and the brand has never failed anyone.
The deer call from Primos is made of high-quality materials. It has a complex design that has been tested in several situations and environments. It is highly durable and will last for a very long time. The raised thumb hole locator provides an insured seal and makes the sound consistent. It also features an original estrus bleat for the rut.
The rubberized top and bottom will help you get a good grip on the deer call, and at the same time, that feature makes the device resistant to falls. The Primos deer call can is very easy to use. The instructions are very clear, and you have a high rate of success on your hunting trip.
Hunter’s Specialties True Talker Deer Call
This deer call has a design based on the World’s First Revolutionary Deer Call, which means it reproduces an authentic deer sound. The tone and the pitch are perfect, which brings a lot of success in hunting trips. According to hunters, this device has one of the highest rates of success, which is why I am recommending it further.
The True Talker provides a wide range of deer sounds, from a lost fawn to a dominant buck. You can use either one of them, according to what you are hunting at any given time. The patented fingertip controls will allow you to make the call easily. To change the sound, all you have to do is roll your finger, and the device will change the tone and the pitch.
The deer call from Hunter’s Specialties is very easy to use. It comes with a lanyard that will keep the device safely around your neck and at your disposal. You will also receive a set of instructions that provide a better understanding of deer calling.
While all three products seem to deliver the results you desire, I am inclined to go with the Primos ‘The Original Can’ Deer Call with Grip Rings. The fact that the manufacturer has plenty of experience in the field makes me believe that this is one of the best deer calls on the market. My statement is backed by thousands of satisfied buyers. They are all happy with their purchase, and they all share their success. It is difficult for me to say otherwise.
I have mixed feelings when it comes to deer calls. On a certain level, it is like cheating. But then I get to think about the fact that our evolution is based on ways we figured things out. We are superior animals, which gives us the right to use any means necessary to get our way. Deer calls are widely spread, which is why I recommend that you buy one as well. You can pick whichever model you want, but one of the three described above will provide precisely what you need.
Updated on January 6, 2023