As temperatures drop during winter months, diesel engines can experience a range of problems that can affect their performance and efficiency. Fortunately, using the best diesel additives can help to mitigate these issues and ensure that your engine is running at its best.
Owning a car is not all fun and rides. It’s much more than that. A car is also a responsibility. You have to take care of everything. Change the tires, do an oil check, change the oil, take it to an auto shop to see if the brakes are still functioning properly, and so on. Taking care of your car is a responsibility you have for yourself. As long as the car is alright, you are safe.
- 1 Diesel Additives Guide
- 2 What is the best additive for diesel?
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 FAQ
Diesel Additives Guide
But you know what they say, prevention is better than treatment. It’s valid for people, it’s also valid for cars. If you take precautions, your car will not break down anytime soon. One of the most important parts that have to be taken care of is the engine. It’s also the most expensive part to replace if you replace it at all. Usually, when the engine breaks, few people replace it because it’s more convenient to buy a new car. The best way to do that is to buy fuel additives.
The fuel additive depends on what your car runs on. I own a diesel car, and I have to say that it’s a lot better than gasoline. Statistically speaking, cars that run on gasoline have a longer lifespan. I bought the car when diesel fuel was cheaper than gasoline, but now I can see other benefits.
The advantages of using diesel additives
As I said, there are a few benefits that make the additives indispensable to your car’s functionality. Most owners use it, and they all say the same thing: the filters need changing a lot less than before, among other things. So here is why you should use a diesel additive.
- It upgrades and stabilizes fuel while minimizing gunk and other fuel tank contaminants. As much as we try to put in high-quality fuel, and as much as the government tries to impose high standards for fuel, there is still bad fuel that ends up in our car tanks. A fuel additive will protect the engine from that and will dissolve the contaminants without interfering with the fuel burn.
- It cleans and protects the fuel system components. I don’t know how much you know about how an engine works, but the bottom line is that multiple components make the burning process possible. The fuel additive will protect every piece, from the tank to the burning chamber of the engine.
- I don’t know if you have ever experienced plugging, but it’s not good. Because of the gunk build-up in the tank, some of it may reach places it shouldn’t. A diesel additive will eliminate varnish and other deposits from the fuel tank and will prevent that from happening.
- Some brands come with cetane improvers, which will enhance power and diesel fuel economy. The engine will burn less fuel because there is nothing in the way of the burning process. It will not have to compensate for anything, which is why the burning will be optimized.
- Have you ever heard of low-sulfur fuels? They will hurry engine wear. That means your engine will have a shorter lifespan. However, the diesel additive you put in your tank will protect the engine and will prolong its life. If there is something you can do to achieve that, do it. Otherwise, in a couple of years, you will regret it.
- Sometimes water can get in the fuel tank. Not because of condensation because that is close to impossible. Maybe you forgot the cap off on a rainy day, or maybe the gas station has a bad water filter. Whichever the reason, water in the tank is a serious issue and needs to be addressed immediately. But a diesel additive will help eliminate the water from the fuel. I can’t go as far as saying how that happens, but it does. That means you don’t need to go to an auto shop to fix it.
- There is this ‘myth’ that diesel-fueled cars have trouble starting in cold temperatures. It’s true to a certain extent, but not entirely. Even so, a diesel additive will prevent that from happening. Hot weather will not be an issue as well.
Even if you know little about cars, you can tell that a diesel additive does only good for your vehicle. You have nothing to lose if you use it. But I trust you are a responsible person who likes to take care of the car and will follow this advice.
Read also: Fuel injector cleaners
What to look for in the best fuel additive for diesel?
Buying a diesel additive requires a little bit of attention. It’s not like you can go to the nearest store and buy whichever you think works best. There are factors that must be taken into consideration. Here are a few.
- Climate – if you live in colder areas, then your primary concern is gelling. It’s only natural for the fuel to turn to gel because of freezing temperatures, but that will hamper startup. You don’t need to be late for work just because you forgot to put an additive in your fuel tank, do you? A diesel additive will prevent your fuel from freezing. There will be no clogs. However, make sure to buy the best diesel fuel additive for winter.
- Fuel efficiency – if you are looking to boost your fuel efficiency, go for an additive that contains a lot of detergents. They will keep the combustion chambers and the injector clean, and there will be no carbon and soot build-up. Detergents can also break down all the gunky bits from your fuel tank.
- Motor type – here you need to weigh the age of your car. The newer models have fine-tuned injectors that are not compatible with all additives on the market. Old cars, however, will be okay with almost any additive you can find.
- Lubricity – in case you didn’t know, diesel components are mostly fuel-lubricated, unlike cars that run on gasoline. That is why lubricity is of the utmost importance. However, according to a recent study, only 50% of the fuel sold in the United States follows the manufacturer’s recommendation for lubricity ratings. That is why you need to put in a diesel additive. You don’t know what flows through that pump. Inadequate lubrication means a fast process of wearing.
Of course, there are other things to take into consideration, but these are the most important that you must not overlook under any circumstances.
What is the best additive for diesel?
The answer to that question depends a lot on what you need the additive for. Every issue has its solution. But the good news is that there are additives out there that hit multiple birds with one stone. Here are a few examples of products that have good reviews online and guarantee the safety of your engine.
Best Additive: Hot Shot’s Secret Diesel Extreme and Boost
Hot Shot’s Secret has a long history of manufacturing high-quality products when it comes to keeping your car clean and safe. It comes in various quantities, but the most convenient is the 32 Fl. Oz bottle. Why bother purchasing multiple bottles when you can buy just one?
This additive will clean out the tank, lines, and injectors. Basically, it cleans the entire path that the fuel has from the reservoir up to the combustion chamber. That means all the gunk will be gone and there is no chance of clogging. If by any chance, water has entered your tank, Hot Shot’s Secret will help with its removal, and it will save you a trip to the car service. Water can affect the combustion process and will ultimately cause damage to the engine. It’s better to take care of it before happening or immediately after you notice that happened.
Remember when I told you that cetane additives can give your car a boost? Hot Shot’s Secret contains cetane which will stabilize the fuel and will give your vehicle’s performance a boost. I don’t know if you know this, but a cloggy fuel system can steal a few horsepower, so the cleaner the system, the quicker the car.
As far as lubricity goes, this diesel additive will take care of it. It will lubricate both the fuel pump as well as the injectors. Furthermore, Hot Shot’s Secret will coat the tank and lines and will protect against rust and corrosion. This, together with the rest of the features, ensure a long life for your engine.
Power Service Cetane Boost Diesel Kleen Fuel Additive
The Power Service comes in an 80-ounce container and will last you quite some time. It will do exactly as advertised. Online reviews have a lot of good things to say about them, which leads me to believe that it actually works.
This diesel additive will clean your car’s dirty injectors and prevents injector from sticking in all engines, no matter how old or new they are. It will even clean the high-pressure common rail systems. The cetane (the thing that boosts your car’s performance) will go up to six numbers. Your engine will not suffer power lag, will run smoother, and cold starts will be faster than without the additive. It boosts power, which is why downshifting is reduced during high-load conditions.
Power Service additive improves fuel economy by up to 8%. That comes in handy if you think that the savings are higher than the cost of the additive. It contains a Slick diesel lubricator which will take care of your injectors and fuel pump. Wearing will be a lot slower than without. Remember when I told you before that new cars have fine-tuned injectors and not all additives are compatible with them? Product Service is. It can be added to cars that have engines from 2007 and newer. It is also effective with ultra-low sulfur diesel, biodiesel, and other biodiesel blends.
The only thing that disappoints me is that if the temperatures are lower than 30º Fahrenheit, you need to buy a supplement. Product Service Additive is not diesel winterize or anti-gel.
Royal Purple Max-Tane Total Diesel Fuel Performance
The Royal Purple additive comes in a container of only 20 ounces, but trust me it’s enough to reach its purpose. If you like, you can choose from multiple sizes. It will do a great job. A lot of people stand by it, and I am inclined to believe them.
Royal Purple will clean everything inside the fuel system. It cleans the tank, the lines, the fuel injectors, the fuel pump, the combustion chambers, the valves, and even the piston crowns. Gunk has no chance of depositing and clogging is not an option. The cold startup will be easy, as Royal Purple improves engine startup and reliability in both cold and warm temperatures. That is because it improves flow by preventing gelling.
The fuel economy will be up to 10%. It will easily cover the cost of the additive, and you’ll have some extra in your pockets. Lubrication is not an issue. Your injectors, as well as the entire fuel system, will be properly lubricated which lowers the chance of wear. Not only that, but Royal Purple reduces smoke and odor. Honestly, I like this small, insignificant feature.
My recommendation: Best fuel additive for diesel
If I were to choose from the three products, I would go with Hot Shot’s Secret. It does everything you need. It cleans, protects, lubricates, and boosts. Not to mention that your cold startups will be a lot faster than without an additive as good as this one. From my point of view, this is one of the best diesel additives on the market.
People should take a car’s care very seriously. Stupid accidents happen every day because someone didn’t check something on his car. And even if nothing bad were to happen, a broken down car means hundreds or even thousands of dollars in repairs. Why take that risk when you can just buy an additive for under 20$?
Updated on March 2, 2023