People all around the world have numerous hobbies. Some of them are exciting and adventurous, while some of them are less eventful and quiet. However, people who go for adrenaline and adventure claim that they have more fun than people who take on painting, and I am inclined to believe them. How much fun can you have from knitting, after all? I am not saying that all people should be the same and have the same preferences, but sometimes, as a human being, you need something that will make your heart pound through your chest.
One of the exciting hobbies that are common these days is dirt biking. You have speed, you have adrenaline, and it makes you feel alive. Many people buy dirt bikes and use them just a few times a year, but those days in which they use the bikes are memorable. Another thing worth mentioning is that in the last few years, manufacturers have gone from regular dirt bikes to electric dirt bikes. I suppose you heard about the E-bike, which has been a hit when it came out a few years back. So, if you can have an E-bike, why not an electric dirt bike?
The benefits of an electric dirt bike
I do not know if you noticed, but when it comes to vehicles, electricity is the future. We become more and more aware of the fact that fuel is bad for the environment, and we invest more and more in electricity-powered vehicles. As you can imagine, there are several advantages to using an electric dirt bike. Here are just a few.
- Performance – most people live with the common misconception that electricity-powered vehicles are slower for some reason. They could not be more wrong. I guess you heard about Tesla, the car, right? It is the best example of performance when it comes to electric vehicles. Dirt bikes, on the other hand, are even more powerful and easy to handle than gas-fueled bikes. The reason behind that statement is that electric motorcycles do not use a clutch, which means it will accelerate faster. Torque develops in an instant, so there is no delay.
- Fuel cost – if there is no fuel, there is no cost, right? Not exactly. You still have to charge the batteries of the dirt bike. However, the amount of energy a dirt bike needs to function is cheaper when it comes to kW than gallons of gas. Just to paint a clearer picture, every mile that you go with an electric dirt bike will cost you about a cent or two. You can make a 1700-mile journey with an electric dirt bike, but only 400 miles with a gas-fueled dirt bike in the same price range. Imagine that.
- Maintenance – electric dirt bikes require little to no maintenance. Yes, you still have to change the tires and the brake pads, but there is no tuning and lubrication. It lacks the whole fuel system, which is the most common to need proper care.
- Noise – when it comes to noise, an electric dirt bike will always win over a gas-fueled dirt bike. There is almost no noise at all. Have you ever been near an electric car? If not, then you cannot imagine how quiet it is. It is the same with electric dirt bikes. In fact, manufacturers added artificial noise just to make people aware of the fact that there is a motorcycle somewhere near you.
- It is good for the environment – this is not a little matter. We are all aware of climate change and what caused it, which is why we need to be careful. One of the steps towards a brighter future is to reduce our CO2 emissions. One way of doing that is by introducing electric vehicles and getting rid of gas-fueled vehicles. I know that dirt bikes are fewer than cars, but we should cut where we can.
What to consider when looking for the best electric dirt bike
Fortunately for you, there are not any manufacturers that produce electric dirt bikes. At least not for now. However, as far as models are concerned, there are a lot of them. That may make you feel confused about your choice. The best thing you can do is establish some criteria and take it from there. Here is what you should look at.
- Speed – this aspect is important because a dirt bike is mostly used in competitions. Yes, some people like to simply take it for a spin, but you do not buy a dirt bike to go with 5 mph. Not all electric dirt bikes have the same top speed, so choose the one that satisfies you. However, keep in mind that the faster you go, the faster your batteries will die out, which means you have to recharge them sooner than if you are going slowly.
- Power – when it comes to vehicles, we talk about horsepower. One horsepower (unit) has the power to move something that weighs 33000 pounds one foot in one minute. The more power the engine has, the better.
- Range – here is where the gas-fueled vehicles win. We have yet to discover how to store more energy in batteries. One battery, with today’s technology, cannot possibly store as much energy as a tank of gas. I have faith, however, that this matter will change soon. The point here is that a tank of gas will take you further than a battery.
- Battery type – there are several types of batteries, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Lithium ions and Lithium Polymer sound alike, but they are very different. The latter is lighter and smaller, but the energy density is not great, and they take up more resources. That is why most manufacturers use lithium-ion batteries. The cheapest battery to make is nickel metal hydride. They are heavier than Li-Ion, but they both have the same energy capacity. The lithium-ion charges faster, though. The best thing about nickel metal hydride batteries is that they last longer, especially in hot climates.
- Weight capacity – since these is electric dirt bikes we are talking about, there is no such thing as ‘one size fits all.’ When you want to buy one, make sure that it can accommodate your weight. It will affect the lifespan of your battery, and at the same time, your weight will have a say in the bike’s wear and tear process.
What are the best electric dirt bikes?
As I mentioned above, there are not many electric dirt bike manufacturers. Instead, there are a lot of models. They are enough to get you all confused if you want to make a purchase. Here are a few suggestions that should make your task easier.
Razor MX650 Rocket Electric Motorcross Bike
Razor is a large electric dirt bike manufacturer. If you take a look online, the first thing you will notice is that Razor produces numerous models for all age groups. The MX650 is one of those models, and according to the online world, it is one of the most popular. The reason why is easy to see. It is a high-quality electric dirt bike that you will enjoy very much.
This model is, in fact, a high-performance model. It can speed up to 17 miles per hour, and it can handle up to 40 minutes of use. It has a sturdy steel construction, variable speed, high torque, and a chain-driven motor. Just like most electric dirt bikes, the Razor MX650 has a twist-grip acceleration control and hand-operated dual disk brakes. The tires are pneumatic, with the front one measuring 16 inches and the rear 14 inches. It also features dual suspension and adjustable riser handlebars.
The MX650 also features a double crown fork and retractable kickstands. The metal foot pegs are folding, and the dirt bike frame geometry is authentic. Its 650W motor generates enough power for uphill and off-road conditions, and it has a weight capacity of 220 pounds. The bike has a three 12V battery system, and the time required for a full recharge is 12 hours. The manufacturer recommends that this bike should be given to children age 16 or older. Overall, this is an amazing model, especially for the price it carries. It is very easy to handle, and it has a pretty good range.
MotoTec Electric Dirt Bike
If you ask any experienced biker what is the best electric dirt bike apart from Razor, he will tell you that it is MotoTec. People who do not want a Razor will always go for this one because it is one of the best. It has plenty of amazing features, and as far as quality goes, it is unquestionable. It measures 32 inches in height, 49 inches in length, and it is 22 inches wide. The ideal age group for this dirt bike is 12 years and up.
Unlike the previous model I presented, this one has a 24V battery system. That means it has a lower range than the Razor. That is not an issue if you buy this bike for your child. He or she will have fun anyway. Also, given the fact that the range is smaller, so is the amount of time required for the battery to recharge. It only needs to stay plugged in 4 hours before your next use.
The speed of the MotoTec is variable. It can go at 5, 10, and 16 mph. It has a twist grip acceleration control, a padded seat, adjustable handlebars, and safety breaks. The suspension system consists of 2 front shocks and one rear shock.
Kuberg 2016 Freerider Electric Dirt Bike
Kuberg is in an entirely different league. It is like nothing you have seen before. The model was released last year, but it is still one of the best electric dirt bikes that money can buy. I will not deny the fact that the price is spicy, to say the least, but if you are a dirt bike enthusiast, then you can see how and why this model reached that price.
The Kuberg has one of the most powerful motors a dirt bike can have. It is an 8000-watt motor that can reach a speed of 34 miles per hour and has incredible torque. It is double that the previous two models. It is suitable for both teenagers and adults, but only as long as they weigh under 220 pounds. The range is approximately one hour, depending on the terrain you ride this bike on. The highly responsive hydraulic disc brakes provide maximum safety, and the bike has a long travel suspension.
The battery system requires only 2 and a half hours to recharge fully. It is one of the fastest charging times when it comes to all vehicles, not only dirt bikes. The Kuberg weighs 79 pounds, and you even have a Wi-Fi option. You can set up and control the bike with a mobile app. However, the Wi-Fi adapter is sold separately. This electric dirt bike is amazing. It makes little to no noise, is light, and it has great speed. It is impossible not to love it.
At this point, I think my choice is predictable. I love the Kuberg 2016 Freerider Electric Dirt Bike. I think it is one of the best electric dirt bikes ever made. Nobody can blame me for it. Just take a look at the specifications. It has a good range and incredible top speed. The battery charges fast, and you can really have some fun with it. However, I am aware that not everyone can afford it.
A dirt bike can be very fun. It pumps your veins a little bit, and dirt biking is a great hobby. All of the products above are excellent, especially the Kuberg. I am aware that not everyone has the money for it, but the other two products are satisfying as well. After all, you do not need the top of the line in order to have fun.